NOT ANOTHER ADVERTISEMENT!


When I picked up my mail today, I received yet another letter inviting me to switch my cable company.  My first thought was, "Ugh.  Not again!" I get this letter at least once a month. Since I'm not in the market for a new cable company, I just throw the advertisement away.

As I threw out the ad, I had a second thought, "Wow.  What a waste of  paper.  I wonder how many other people just throw this away."  "Hmm, I hope they're all recycling".

The image of people recycling advertisements made me wonder how many potential customers are businesses losing a day.  Advertising is a very effective vehicle to gain a customer.  However, if the customer feels annoyed, offended or even overwhelmed by the amount of advertisements, you've probably lost the opportunity to do business with that customer.  What's a business owner to do?  How can you get your message to potential customers without bombarding them?  

Here are some tips:

  • Have your message printed on seed paper.  Your prospect may plant it and remember  you when it sprouts.
  • Email campaigns are a great way to get your message across without the use of paper.
  • Offer a free item or service
  • Existing customers love getting mail around their birthday - a card, discount, etc.
  • Social Media Marketing - saves on postage and is more passive than getting another piece of junk mail for your customer to hate
  • Get potential customers to "opt in". By opting in, prospects are telling you it's ok to send me your advertising.




No comments: