The Day I Found Out I Was A Terrible Boss

When I started my own business, I had a very specific vision of what I wanted my business to look like. No longer would I have to be forced into a regimented schedule, looking out the window on a sunny day, wishing I can work outdoors. I had the freedom to create a business that would reflect all the things I enjoyed. MY business would include the flexibility of a tech company, the creativity of a Food Network challenge and the satisfaction of a kick-ass workout.  My BUSINESS would have the solid foundation of any brick and mortar, the familiarity of a local business and the excitement of a unicorn start-up.  


All that changed when one day, while working on a project and becoming slightly annoyed by the grumbling stomach, I glanced at the clock on my laptop.  It was 3:45 PM and I haven't even had lunch! That's when it hit me.  "If I were an employee I'd really be pissed at my boss for making me work through lunch!", I thought.  "What If I were the boss (I am) who happened upon the employee (then just me) and realized I hadn't even asked if my employee had lunch?", I pondered.  How would I feel if I weren't both boss AND employee?  I would feel terrible!  And I did. For myself. It was official. I was a terrible boss ... to myself.


The realization that I had to be a better boss to myself led me to be a better employee and business owner.  As my boss, I gave myself (the employee) a long lunch and forced my employee (myself) to pack it in at a decent hour.  No good boss wants an overworked and under-productive employee.  It served me no purpose to slave over my computer into the wee hours of the night only to achieve lukewarm results, at best.  I was far more productive, both as employee and boss, when I had a good night's sleep and looked and felt refreshed.


The boss in me, I didn't mind going to the office a few minutes early to lay out an action plan for the employee in me.  As a small business owner, you wear so many hats and the lines between owner and staff can certainly become very blurred. I found the only way to keep focused on what tasks needed to get done was to put in all on paper. The enjoyment I got from crossing items off my list gave me the motivation to keep at it which made the person in charge (me) very happy.  My productivity was through the roof and my income climbed steadily.  What boss wouldn't be happy about that?!  Not me! I was thrilled!  My business was on track to sustaining my lifestyle and I was doing what I liked.

Being both boss and employee wasn't always easy in those early days but now I can say I relish the flexibility, creativity and satisfaction my business affords me.  I'm a better boss to my employees now than I was to myself then and learning that lesson early on kept me from burning out or giving up. Having your own business can be rewarding but it requires nurturing, protecting and loving it and yourself, as well as, your employees. No one likes a grumpy boss and no boss likes an unhappy employee. When you're in that situation you just end up fighting each other or canceling each other out and running the risk of letting your business become ineffective or worse ... close down.

Do you have a challenge in your business?  Are you trying NOT to be a terrible boss?  Let us help you create the business you've always wanted.  






No comments: