The Natural Office

I arrived early for an appointment the other day. With time to spend, I decided to visit a park nearby. It was a bright sunny day but there were plenty of trees perfectly planted near the wooden benches, offering shade to those who wanted it.  It was the height of the afternoon so I sat under a large oak tree and out onto the clearing of green grass.  The parks department was mowing the lawn in a distinct pattern and I was mesmerized by the process in the moment.

Would you like to run your business in this setting?

Once I settled in, I was able to note the many people sitting quietly, reading, listening to music, or just chatting and enjoying each other's company.  The breeze from the leaves actually made the experience comfortable despite the heat. It was so relaxing I considered going to the park on a regular basis.  At first, my mind thought of every possible excuse as to why I couldn't.  'No time' 'The bench wasn't that comfortable' 'This park wasn't always convenient'. I started to let go of the idea of coming to the park on the regular. Sigh

Then a light bulb clicked on in my head. What if I went to a park, any park, brought a blanket or yoga mat, a hotspot, my notebook, lunch, etc.? I was carrying most of it with the exception of a blanket or yoga mat daily anyway. Surely I could find room for a throw blanket or a yoga mat to my bag essentials.

Instead of being cooped up indoors between appointments, I could turn any park into my "natural office". I could kick off my sandals and enjoy the coolness of the grass while following up on phone calls, emails, setting up appointments with clients, writing blog posts, updating my social media, etc. all from the peace and tranquility of a natural setting.

Feeling inspired, I was determined to give it a go. Hearing the birds, feeling gentle breeze on my cheek, breathing in the sweet smell of fresh cut grass really has a way of allowing me to decompress. I feared I would get lazy or spend too much time soaking up the sights and sounds but I found the exact opposite to be true.  I was quite productive. In fact, I felt so accomplished I was sorry I hadn't considered it sooner. Nature really has a way to put things in perspective for me and help me focus.

Would you like to turn nature into your home office? Look at what resonates most with you about nature. Is it the sights, smell, calmness? Is it the change of scenery or the need to get away from a typical office setting? Also, consider these options when making the switch.

1. Find a hotspot.  If you need to be connected to the internet all day, get a hotspot. You can connect several items to one hotspot and its better than tethering with your cell phone. If you use a smartphone for almost everything except the occasional upload from your laptop, your cell phone may be enough; especially if you have extended battery life.

2. Take the time. Your natural office does have to be a huge time investment. You may want to do this a few times a week or just a couple of hours a day. I found afternoons were best for me, right around the time when I might be considering a cup of coffee or walking away from my desk. I also like to bring my lunch with me and enjoy a meal al fresco and then dive into my afternoon tasks, if I have a couple of hours between appointments.

3. Consider outdoor meetings. Depending on the type of business you have, clients and colleagues might enjoy meeting with you out of doors. Outdoor settings are great for brainstorming sessions or health coaching.

4. Get comfortable. For me, one of the best perks of leaving corporate was I do not have to wear a suit again, unless I want to.  You can still look polished while dressing comfortably. Comfort is key if you plan on sitting on a yoga mat or blanket, even more so if you enjoy stretching or practicing yoga or meditation while at your "natural office".

5. Stick to the plan. Just to make sure you don't get distracted by the beautiful natural scenery or spent your time daydreaming, make a to-do list for the time you plan on spending outdoors. I like to work in 90 minute intervals so I start with 3 small items or 1 big project and I put my energy into just those tasks.

Although I thought it couldn't be done, assuming I would have to wait for weekends to enjoy the outdoors, I was proven wrong. Enjoying a natural office while running my business is possible ... and fun!








No comments: